"It's when things get rough and you don't quit that success comes." - Unknown

Friday, September 28, 2018

Commuting Part 2

This week, we had a service day for work. We had to be to West Roxbury by 9 am Tuesday. Well, this girl has no idea where towns are and people kept asking me, "are you coming?" "I'm not excited about the drive for me, so I can't even imagine what it's going to be like for you." With that preface, I was really excited about making this drive and having to be there at 9, when I'd be driving in peak traffic. When I mentioned it to Will he said, "You have to go there!? It's south of Boston. It's far." Great, so I guess I'll plan on leaving at 6 am and hope I make it there by 9. I set my alarm for 5:30 that morning. When it went off, I looked and my calendar said, "traffic is heavy, it will take you 1 hour and 27 minutes to get there." This was at 5:30 in the morning!! Ugh....I got ready and decided I needed to leave no later than 7, to give me plenty of time. When I told that to Will he just said, "If only that were plenty of time." Because it takes forever and a day to get anywhere out here. That's what I'm finding.

I made my journey and got there in about an hour and 45 minutes. I was still early, which is better than late for me. I hate being late. I only have one person's number from my team, so I texted her and asked if she could let me know when she got here because I wasn't totally sure I was in the right place. When she arrived, we walked in and we were talking about our commutes. Turns out she lives 12 miles from this place and it took her the same amount of time to get there. 12 miles!!! That's absolutely ridiculous. I guess I shouldn't complain as much as I do. She lives 22 miles from work and it takes her about an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. I live 45 miles away and it takes me an hour and a half. She said it's because she has to go through the city and the city is just always a mess. If I lived 22 miles from work and it was taking me over an hour to get in every day, I don't think I would last. I really don't. Books on tape aside, I think it would still drive me bonkers. I will try not to be so pessimistic about my drive. No promises though, let's be honest, it still sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment