"It's when things get rough and you don't quit that success comes." - Unknown

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Midwest

Last month I had that great opportunity to go out to visit my brother and his cute little family. He was also graduating from medical school, so it was a double bonus, I got to see him become a doctor. I went with my parents and we made a trip out of it. Flew into St. Louis, saw the arch, went to the St. Louis temple. Then drove to Illinois and visited Nauvoo and then onto Bloomington to meet up with my brother and his family for the graduation and festivities.

We got off the plane in St. Louis and you could immediately feel the humidity. You could feel it, but I didn't think it was too bad. I mean, it was only May. It could have been much worse had we gone 3 months later.

Our first stop was the famous arch. We parked the car and headed over to get on a little pod that would take you to the top of the arch. As we were walking over, we saw this priceless photo-op. A tour bus. But it gets better, check out the name of the tour bus. That's right, Lamers. Would you want to be on that tour bus? Didn't think so.


Here is the famous St. Louis Arch


And you can't really tell by this picture, but this is the little pod you get to ride up in. It can fit 5 people to a pod. We were lucky enough to only have the three of us on the way up and down. If there had been five, it would have been a tight squeeze and a little claustrophobic. Here are my parents in the pod.


Here I am at the top of the Arch. I don't know if you can see at the top of the arch in that picture, but there are tiny little windows, that is what is behind me, one of those windows to look out from.


After the arch, it was time to go to the St. Louis temple.



I was messing around with my dad's camera. I just like this picture.


After St. Louis, it was on to Nauvoo. We stayed in a little hotel right across the street from the Nauvoo temple. We were able to go to that temple two days in a row. And let me tell you, that temple is absolutely gorgeous inside! I loved it!


We went to the visitor's center. Saw a performance called Rendezvous. I would recommend it if you go to Nauvoo, very cute. Then we headed to Bloomington to meet up with B-rad, Mel, Chloe and Ezra. Here he is with his family after graduation. Such a cute family.


On our way out, before we headed to the airport, we were able to tour Carthage Jail, where Mel served her mission. It was a great opportunity to be there and learn more about what Joseph Smith went through and where he stayed. This is the actual size of the jail where he was held.


It was a great trip and I was glad I had to chance to go out and see B-rad and his family. Thanks mom and dad for letting me tag-along on your trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment