"It's when things get rough and you don't quit that success comes." - Unknown

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Canyonlands half marathon

I guess since it's been 2 months since I last posted, I should give an update on some of the races I've done. In March I ran the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab. I had never done this one before and was a little worried about it since it was in March and that's pretty early in the year to be running a race. At least for me, it is. I signed up with a few girls from my ward and some of their friends. It's a lottery registration, but you register as a team. That way, if your team gets in, you have people to run the race with. I figured I'd sign up, but we probably wouldn't get in on the lottery. Sure, no big deal. I registered in December thinking we wouldn't get in. Oh, we got in. So, I got to train (or try and train) in the winter months. That doesn't work so well with me.

The day of the race came and we headed to the buses. Apparently this race starts up the canyon. Something I wasn't aware of. So, we get bused to the starting line and have about an hour to wait before the race starts. Why we have an hour was beyond me, but whatever. They bused us up and then the 5 milers were bused to their starting point. Well, it was COLD that morning. The wind was blowing and we were up a canyon in our running gear, just waiting to be herded to the starting line. The drop bag buses had already left, so we were just in what we would be running in. Great start.

The race finally started and we were off. I had told my friend that I would stay with her the entire race because we were both not as prepared for this as we should have been. We just kept telling each other that this was training for the Salt Lake half in April. People told me this was a great course because you started up a canyon and it was downhill. It was not downhill! It was rolling hills through the canyon and then mile 10 hits and you have a nice incline to go up. There were, however, cool drums at mile 10, so that was pretty sweet. I had to leave my friend at the last mile, because I have to finish strong. It was not a good time though, 2:34. Oh well, I finished right?

Jeff and Holli and Leah and Brad were in Moab camping and they decided to be little gems and come support me. They were waiting for me as I came out of the canyon and then again at the finish line. They're so great! I have the best family.

No comments:

Post a Comment