"It's when things get rough and you don't quit that success comes." - Unknown

Saturday, January 12, 2013

So Cal Ragnar 2012

In April, I had the opportunity to run the southern California Ragnar Relay. I was able to run it with most of the people I do this race with. It was great fun. We drove to Vegas Wednesday night. Stayed with my friend's family (who are always so willing to let 12 random people stay in their home) and then drove the rest of the way Thursday. We got there early enough on Thursday that we were able to spend a little time at the beach. I wasn't expecting to go to the beach, so I didn't have any of my beach attire, but it was still fun to go and hang out for a bit. I have family in Southern California, so my aunt and uncle came and picked me up for dinner Thursday night and then took my to get Pinkberry (my absolute favorite!).
 Jess and me on the beach. We played a little sand soccer before they had to take me back to the hotel to meet my aunt and uncle for dinner. It was quite the workout!
 Pure joy, right here. I LOVE Pinkberry. It was delightful and my face shows how much I enjoyed it.
Then, Friday morning, we began our 200 mile adventure through Southern California. The starting line!
Here I am, ready to start my first leg! It was really hot that day, like 98 degrees hot, so we were a little behind pace. I think I started around noon and my first leg was about 5 miles. But I passed off to van two, right in the heat of the day. Poor van 2!!
 And I'm off!
Normally I'm not too worried about the legs I have to run during Ragnar, but I've usually looked online so I know what to expect. This race was a little different. I thought I was going to be a certain runner, but it got changed at the last minute. I'm pretty easy going, so I said sure. I got done with my first leg and got back in the van. We were going through what the next van had to run and I decided to look at my next leg. Holy balls! I was runner 6, so I was the last runner in our van. I know the picture is kind of blurry, but exchange 17 on that picture is where my leg began and I had to make it up that giant hill!! I was kind of freaking out about it. A nice elevation change of 1100 feet. What!?!?
Jessica, me and Krista donning our reflective gear for our night runs. The night runs are usually my favorite, but I had to get my legs up a giant hill, remember?
 And I'm ready to begin my trek up the ginormous hill... I'm just glad I didn't have to do that during the heat of the day. I may have died.
 I don't have any pictures of my last leg, but I had more hills to go up. It was through Torrey Pines, if anyone is familiar with that. My legs were already tired from my 8 mile run during the night, which had the massive hill. So, trying to make them go up more hills wasn't so fun. But I started out next to the beach, which was nice. I made it, but it was a little slow.
 We were at the finish line, waiting for van 2 to come through so we could cross the finish line together and there was this sign. So true! Ragnar has been a great experience, each and every time I've done it and I have made some great friends along the way.
 Taking in the beach scene while waiting for van 2 to finish.
 Here's van 1! Julia, Ryan, Rich, Jessica, Krista and me. We had a great time!
 We were driving home and I looked back and the others were really into the movie. I'm pretty sure they were watching the Burbs. That has become a Ragnar classic. Huntington Beach to Coronado Island. We made it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment